Monday, September 16, 2013

Chapters

Over the last 6-7 years my life has been a series of chapters. Situations and locations that never last longer than 7 months at a time. Since I finished college in 2007 I have not stayed in the continental US for longer than seven months at a time. Alaska, Hawaii, and Australia have all taken turns with Utah as the places I call home. So I'm now used to ending and starting new chapters in my life. And another one of those chapters is ending today. Today is my last day in jindabyne. As per usual...I'm pretty bummed out about leaving. I had a great time here this season. I made lots of new friends and saw lots of old friends. The skiing wasn't epic on account of my broken knee, but overall it was a pretty awesome season. The uncertainty of my return makes leaving more difficult as saying goodbye for possibly the last time ever isnt something I enjoy. The bond between ski instructors that go through a whole season together in a tiny town like this is pretty strong, and for a few people in particular, saying goodbye is downright depressing for me. I kinda really got a thing for someone I may never see again. That's a major buzzkill...  Oh my poor lonely heart... Anyways whatever, the end of this chapter also means the beginning of another. And over the next month I am going to cross off numbers one and two on Dallon 's bucket list. And that, is pretty dang exciting. Then I'll make my way back to Utah for winter just like I do every year. This season will be different as canyons resort is now owned by vail and it looks like I'll be a salaried big shot ( way to go college!).  So that could be good.
I'd liketo reflect on this closing chapter a bit though. It was much more pleasant being a second year guy at Perisher. 10 or more kids in a class didn't freak me out and I didn't have to do self surgery on any ingrown toenails this season. I had way more friends with vehicles so I only had to hitch hike to/from work a few times. I only had to share an apartment with one guy, my buddy Andy  though that made for less interesting and awkward moments compared to the six of us plus 'partners' living together last year. I went 'out' a lot more this year. I am officially the most sober man in Jindy. Which is fun because I remember everything everyone did last night when no one else does. Plus I got to drive a lot of people home each night, that's always interesting. I participated in the mini mite program this year. Every Sunday for 11 weeks I was responsible for 6 3-4 year old boys. I taught them how to ski, they taught me that I only want daughters. Each one of them was adorable and precious, all of them together...well, that was an absurd nightmare. I basically became famous as the instructor that had to deal with Lincoln, Charlie, charly, luka, Christian, and will. Teaching a feral pack of kittens how to ski (safely) would have been easier. It was challenging. In the end though, I loved those tyrants and would totally do it again.
A certain semisonic songs plays in my head as I end this chapter and begin another, and I wonder, as I always do...what will happen now!?


No comments: