Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jindy To Sydney

I will spend only one day here in Sydney this year, and the stark differences between little Jindy and Big Sydney are still quite...stark.  I left Jindabyne on a school bus, only ride I could find.  I felt like the new shy kid sitting in the front of the bus all by myself.  Weird, at least no one tripped me or twisted my nipples.  Then it was another bus from Cooma to Canberra, and a train to Sydney.  There are more people in Sydney...lots more. It's a bit bigger than Jindy too.  This marked the first time in over three months I had gone anywhere except Jindabyne and Perisher.  A bit shocking.  I like Sydney though. 

I grew up in a small town, and overall I think I prefer it that way.  But I have lived a bunch in a medium sized city, Salt Lake.  And SLC and Sydney are not very much alike.  There are actually a diversity of people here.  There is an ocean here.  There are super fancy places to eat and everyone is dressed up all nice like.  I like that part, I always like excuses to suit up and go out, back home there just aren't that many opportunities for it.  And as a single man only slightly past my prime, it's nice seeing all the ladies dolled up in fancy dresses.  Nothing against jeans and a blouse Utah girls...

As I walked around last night I couldn't help but think about how being a ski instructor has given me so many opportunities to do and see some cool things.  At the same time though, walking passed fancy restaurants with fancy wine glasses and large, yummy, dead oceanic creatures on the tables sat around by sophisticated well dressed night goers revealed a down side to the ski instructor life.  You see, I was on my way to Hungy Jacks!  To get myself a delicious prefabricated hamburger.  Then I walked passed a Hilton, a Marriot, and some other super fancy digs on my way to the hostel, where I shared a room on a rickety bunk bed with 11 other international travelers. (they were on different bunk beds, not that kind of hostel)  Ski instructor...pros and cons.  Honestly though, I'll take the cons, because the pros are about to prove how pro they are!

For the next month or so, I'll try to blog my travels, for all 7 of you that care.  That's you mom!





No comments: