Monday, February 15, 2010

The Ski School Fiasco

I have the coolest job ever! But some days, it's an absolute fiasco! I will now indulge...

With presidents day weekend comes hundreds of kids in ski school. Here's how it went today: I set my alarm for pm, so of course I was late to work. So I got stuck with the crap job of signing kids in and shuffling them to their coaches. My class didn't show up until around 10 oclock due to enormous lines at the gondola. With so many kids around it's quite crazy getting them all in to the right classes and getting the paperwork right so supervisors know where all the kids are and which coaches they are with. So that all took forever with my class, the ski school lift line was of course enormous so we didn't even get onto the hill until around 11. Lunch is at noon but since there are so many kids lunch was held in the Grand Summit ballroom instead of the kids lunchroom. THe ballroom is at the bottom of the gondola. It takes about 15 minutes to get up or down the gondola. One kid has special food allergies so she brought her own lunch. I didn't know about this until we were already on the gondola. So we waited for someone to bring it to us. Another student lost a glove, so we spent some time looking for it, then looking for a replacement. Then a parent calls her kid and wants to pick him up early. So we wait for 15 minutes for her to show up. Then while skiing my class down a trail we come upon another ski class with a kid laying in his own yard sale was screaming in pain. His coach was working with kids for the first time ever and was almost panicking. So I start to try to control the kid who is going into shock. Call ski patrol who show up and immediately diagnose a broken femur and call for a med flight. This kids panicked coach has no phone numbers so I then call our supervisor who freaks out (already a crazy day for her, broken femur on a kid didn't help) Then panicked coach tells me she doesn't know where the rest of her class is. So after ski patrol gets things in control I take my class off in search of missing kids. I finally found them just in time for parents to pick them up and have to deal with the questions about the helicopter and why these kids aren't with their regular coach. "Don't worry mam, I promise that is not YOUR kid getting put in the helicopter" thats what I said to all the parents...except one. That sucked. A parent of one of my kids didn't have their claim ticket to prove the kid was hers, so that was a mess. (can't give kids away unless parents give us their ticket that proves kid is theirs, sounds silly but it's for safety) Then some other parents were late, leaving me there stranded with one kid. Then I had to check out with supervisors, which took forever on account of EVERY instructor working today, and some serious incident report paper work to fill out. Then of course the line to get back down the gondola is snake-ing it's way all the way up 9990 so I decide to ski down, which turned into an even more ridiculously long line at the shortcut lift. I finally get to the base and I get a call from another supervisor about one of my kids that can't find her shoes. So I have to go help look for those only to find out after several phone calls and an hour that their friends took his boots on accident. Then...I make it to the locker room and am accosted by coworkers wanting to know how in the world a kid in ski school broke a femur. Finally I'm out of there and get to come home. It was a crazy day of waiting in line and doing lots of non ski coaching stuff. It was pretty aggravating. But you know what...It was about the most frustrating day at that job I have ever had, but it was still pretty dang awesome. Seriously, they pay me to ski and goof around with kids! I love my job.

No comments: