Saturday, November 12, 2011

Shark Pit!


Hey Honu!
After scraping our chests on the reef, it suddenly drops of to 35'.
That's Ricky Bobby!

Hard to tell, but this guy was at least as big as me!
 
So just in my backyard, well two
blocks away from my backyard, is one of my favorite surf spots on Maui. It's called Shark Pit. Yeah, that's pretty self explanatory. But the last few days there has been ZERO surf on the west side, so Idecided to take advantageand finally find out what I've been floating over all those times. So I grabbed a buddy and a tank and went for a scuba dive!  After driving away to other distant locations on Maui to find great dive spots, who knew  just had to walk down to the beach two blocks away! No picture, but we saw a turtle the size of a small car.  Most of the turtles here were huge, way bigger than the ones we see at the cleaning stations on our snorkel trips.  Awesome!
 
 

Ricky Bobby found a tiger cowry!
HUGE puffer,  Still can't get one to puff though...

 Maui is great this time of year because it is always raining, but it's also always sunny.  So there is always a rainbow!
Popped up to see this!
 
It wouldn't be called Shark Pit if there weren't sharks everywhere!  This first guy was just chillaxin.  White tips are one of the only kine shark that can pump water through their gills to breather without moving.  This other guy came right at me so close I couldn't get a full picture!  Sharks are wimps.  It was a great dive in my backyard!


2 comments:

Adventures in Heywood said...

This would make John jealous. Every time we snorkel or whatever he wishes we would see a shark. I adamantly hope we don't however, so at least I've always got what I want... although I probably wouldn't freak out too much w/ that type of shark, but who knows! Seals scare me after all! The turtles however I always have wanted to see... but the car sized ones would make me more than a little nervous... what if it sat on me?

The Kitch said...

oh my goodness how awesome!! You got some pretty amazing pictures!