Sunday, May 16, 2010

One of These Is Not Like the Other.



I did some blog stalking the other day and realized something that opened my eyes... I perused the worldwide digital autobiography/memoirs of all my friends and their friends and some complete strangers as well, and it dawned on me that one of these is not like the others. The blogging world is a popular place for females: single girls, married girls, mothers and every other sort of XXs...it is NOT however, a place where the young single male tends to spend his time, or any male for that matter. The occasional reference of "my husband" is as about as close as they come. So, the one of these that is not like the other of course...is me. I could come up with reasons (excuses) for why I have a blog, they are going to sound almost exactly like my reasons for joining myspace, and then facebook. To keep in touch with old friends of course. While that may be true, let's face it...we are all really just a little self centered and we feel more important in this world and a little better about ourselves when we get a message, a notification, a picture comment, or the creme de la creme...a friend request! (is anyone else sourly dissapointed when instead of some gorgeous hottie who came across a picture of you and thought you were sexy and interesting, it's just some obscure high school classmate you haven't seen since then and didn't ever talk to anyways? I know I am...I'm single though so maybe you're different) Anyways, back to the blogging matter at hand. Seriously, look at everyone's blogs, the lists of links to other blogs on the side? Read them...they are all either The Johnson Family, or John and Joan, or just Joan. But do you see ANY (besides mine) that are just a dude? Nope. I don't have my pregnancy progression pictures, or cute pictures of my kid's first steps, or recipes of the great new dessert I just made. I don't have a combination of our names as a catchy blog title, family updates, domestic projects, bridal pictures, craft projects, or much else in my blog of great lifetime importance...Yet, I still have a blog, and I think it's fun and my mom likes it so I'm still going to do it!

And on another slightly related note...Some peeps and I got together a few weeks back because Christie is awesome and likes to host get togethers and John likes to grill yummies from Christie's cookbook, and also kinda for a goodbye party. Anyways it was pretty awesome because 8 of my best fellas were there, first time that many of us have been together for many moons. But the point of my rambling is this; back in the day we were a rowdy croud - get togethers were loud and boisterous with bands and crowds and hilarious antics only LDS kids could come up with sober. And we were mostly care free. At this gathering, replace the crowd of strangers with 11 children 3 and under and significant others, the loud noise with light conversation and an occasional baby crying, and the hilarious antics with stories reminiscing about hilarious antics. A drastic eye opening again? Well, not drastic, but quite gradual. I've watched all my friends meet girls, get careers, settle down, get married, have kids, buy homes etc. Which is all really awesome and they are all really happy. As the only single person at the pow wow I couldn't help but feel a little left out; in a group where I used to feel like a ring leader, I felt a little out of place. I do not live like the people who are my best friends in this whole world, I have not had the same experiences as them and honestly it stirred up some feelings in me I've never experienced before. I thought long and hard about my life. That was good. Because I realized that though different than theirs, my life is mine and it's pretty awesome. By the way, I'm in Kauai right now...I'm on vacation. Tomorrow though I have to go home to Maui...bummer.

p.s. any gorgeous hotties out there that think I'm sexy and interesting, please fill out my girlfriend application and add me as a friend on facebook! thank you.


Some photogenic evidence. aka good times...

6 comments:

Tori said...

I'm glad you keep a blog, it's fun to read one about someone out there living it up, instead of the ones whose life is so much like mine :) (not that I'm complaining about my life, I just really like your blog).

Tawna said...

I love your blog! I am a single girl, so I don't do the kid updates, recipe stuff. I do what you do..just update people in my life what my happenings are! Hope you're having so much fun in Hawaii, Loppy!

Adventures in Heywood said...

I agree with other commentors that it's nice to have some variety to read. It's fun to see what you're up to, and John and I love laughing about your latest misadventures! :) While I do actually enjoy seeing pictures of my friends kids and finding out funny anecdotes about what little joey did, while I appreciate a good recipe recommendation to make something new for dinner on occasion, I also appreciate your blog. You don't have to apologize or make excuses for what you wanna do Dallon - and that includes facebook, or blogs or whatever! You can use them how and when and as little or as much as you want and who cares! And also while I personally don't KNOW and subsequently am not friends with the authors of travelogue blogs, photo blogs and baking blogs I actually often frequent said topical blogs. There are actually lots and lots of blogs out there that aren't 'mom blogs'. You just may not see them often linked on the sides of your 'mom blogging' friends blogs! :)

Oh and PS, I don't know why I can't not baby talk in my videos, yes it's annoying and Charlie is probably looking at me like, 'why are you talking like that you crazy person!?'

Court and Jill said...

Dallon - Mommy blogs are boring as heck. Seriously. They are. I know...I have one. Your blog is funny and interesting. And I was laughing my FACE off about your rantings of being the only "dude" on the blog lists. That was funny. But I like your blog. So keep blogging. Your life is interesting, so don't apologize.

Facebook- what do you do with the friend requests from random strangers who actually turn out to be members of BEHS class of 2000? Just curious. I am a private kinda gal so I ignore. Rude? Maybe.

Ju Ju said...

I think you are so funny! I look at your blog through Billy's on occasion. The reason I do is because it is so dang funny! I was telling one of my softball teammates about your girlfriend application and how funny I thought it was. She is single(only 20 though and a snowboarder, and she plays rugby not lacrosse...that might be a deal killer) and it caught her attention (in a good way). Sorry, I sometimes talk about my single guy friends to cute single girls. Anyway, I think you are just fine doing what you are doing. It makes life fun for the rest of us.
P.S. My blog is private, but if you want an invite to another boring mommy and me blog. You might pass the screening, just e-mail me.

Anonymous said...

Here is another "dude's" blog. It reads a lot like yours.

http://ungertakers.blogspot.com/

Derrek