Saturday, September 29, 2012

SYDNEY

Wow, such a big change from sleepy little Jindabyne! I spent two days and some change here. I have realized since being in Sydney that I really haven't spent that much time in big cities throughout my life. But the city that Sydney reminded me of the most is Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. The downtown area is very busy with pedestrians and everything is very close. I really loved Sydney though! I've decided that if I ever have to live in a big city someday, then it needs to have nice beaches and good surf spots. We went to Manly Beach, which reminded me of Varna (another Bulgarian city), it was a very chill little beach town just a short ferry ride away from downtown Sydney. Also went to Bondi which had really good surf. I didn't paddle out on account of we had plans already. I'm too spoiled from Maui to be bothered with wet suits now anyway. We walked along the beach from Bondi to Coogee beach. A very pleasant stroll, again, right on the edge of the posh big city. Our hostel was everything you'd expect from a hostel. I'm glad to announce that my first stay in a hostel didn't result in being kidnapped and sold for body parts. I'm not entirely sure I could live in that big of a city for too long, but my experience there for two days was pretty cool. I'm quite disapointed in how tired and sore I am from walking around so much. You would think a season of deadly ski instructing would be sufficient exercise to allow for a bit of walking around, but alas, I'm an old fart. Ended up in more taxis than I'd like to admit. We went to an aquarium. Pretty much the ocean here has lots of critters in it too. I really missed the ocean. So my favorite part about Sydney was...the ocean. So, I'm in a hurry to use this internet before computer dies, so sorry about the lack of humorous wit. I'll let the pictures tell the story. Also, Sydney was almost a week ago, it's going to be hard for me to stay up to date, I'll do my best!

Our Hostel

The Sydney Tower Eye

Opera House

Ferry docks

The Harbor Bridge


Shark!

Downtown Sydney

Bondi Beach

Marianna, Sophie, Chris on our walk to Coogge

Coogee

Really cool cemetery on the sea bluffs

This was just a cool inlet they turned into a swimming place.
More to come soon.  Hint: If we were meant to pop out of bed...we'd all sleep in Toasters!

No comments: