Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sydney to Byron Bay



About three years ago a friend of mine from Maui went on a trip with his lady friend to Australia. They rented a hippie camper van and drove the eastern coast of Australia. Ever since he told me about it, I've wanted to do it. So guess what...I'm doing it. We picked up our van in Sydney and realized straight away...we didn't need to worry about breaking anything. It's a piece of junk, but it's a perfect piece of junk! It goes, and we can sleep in it, so it has all we need.
I present, The Toaster.  My current home.

Sophie and Chris, my housmates from Jindy have one van, and Andy and I have our own. If Chris and Sophie van is a rockin, don't go knockin. If our van is rockin, please call the police, break a window, and get me the heck out of there! Two stinky dudes holed up in a tiny old van...I guess it could be worse.

The theme of the first few days of this trip seems to be BEACHES! Oz sure has a lot of them. And they are all pretty awesome, and all of the sand squeaks! We usually sleep in the parking lot of beaches, and we usually ignore the no overnight parking/camping signs. No problem so far. I absolutely LOVE waking up to the ocean. Though it is still quite chilly, nothing wakes me up like a cool morning dip in the sea. Almost everywhere we go we are greated by migrating humpbacks, cousins of my friends in Maui, my favorite oceanic creatures!

It has taken us four sleeps to reach our current destination of Byron Bay, which I'll get to later, which is a pretty slow pace but suits me fine, as NOT being in a hurry feels absolutley awesome. We really have no plan, no agenda, we're literally figuring it out as we go. The road is our journey and our only destination is tomorrow. I love every second of it! It's nice to finally see parts of Australia other than Jindabyne and Perisher, and I like it! It really is a beautfiul country. We have mostly been on the coast but did spend a day in wine country.

These are out of order...

That's Chris and Sophie in front of us, somewhere in Oz.

View from inside the Toaster

Hey!  Do you guys know where we are?  Nope, let me check...

In hippie spirit, Andy likes to drive without his shirt.

I believe this was sleeping spot number 2.  Blueys Beach. 

More of Blueys Beach

Lots of bridges over lots of water so far.

Eating lunch at Nabucca Heads.

Have you ever wondered what the world looks like from the point of view of the critters that live in tide pools?  Well wonder no longer.

Finally got out of Sydney!  Stopped at some bushwackers pub place...thingy.

Kangaroos!

Our first sleep spot was actually a campground near someplace called Broke.  Which was fitting.  Searching for firewood here at night was unpleasant on account of Australia containing 90% of the worlds poisonous critters.

Sophie is a great cook!

We took a detour through wine country.  Where they make wine from grapes that grow on vines...like these.  It was very informative.

Everyone else tasting wine and pretending like we actually intended on buying some.

The first proper grass lawn I have seen here.

Naughty vans at another winery.

We finally got in the ocean at a place called Hawks Nest! 

Me at Hawks Nest


Sophie on Boomerang Beach

Everyone on Blueys Beach

Boomerang Beach

Booti Booti Beach

Booty, and Booty

Watching migrating whales

Chillaxin in North Haven.

Pretty waves at North Haven



Chris and Andy trying to catch dinner during the sunset.

Watching a movie in the living room

Sophie, in the kitchen.

Nambucca Heads, stopped for lunch

The ocean somewhere...

I think she caught something!

Kangaroos!



Sleeping spot # whatever at Evans Head.

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Sounds like a wonderful adventure. Maybe when I am big I can be like you. Jacob wants to go to the opera house. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Our house loves to play where is the world is Uncle Dallon. Be safe and be smart Kappy