Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Aotearoa: The Land of the Long White Cloud

When I was a kid I used to rent vhs tapes from the library that were nature tapes.  David Attenborough type stuff.  And though I don't remember particularly which one, I know that sense then I have always wanted to come here.  And now I am finally in New Zealand!  And it is absolutely everything I hoped it would be.  Everything is beautiful, and everything is amazing.  I am still with Sophie and Chris but I've traded Andy for Sam as my van buddy.  I'm the only American again...  We got vans from the same company but they're much nicer this time.  We started in Christchurch, which unfortunately is still in a sad state since the earthquakes a few years ago.  Then went down to Queenstown.  This is the area I almost moved to a few years ago, I still want to move there now.  There are several ski resorts in the area and some of the best mountain biking mountains I have ever seen.  We tried to make it to Milford sound but a rock slide and nasty weather kept us away.  Instead we went to puzzling world!  (see photos)  Pretty fun place actually.  All you have to do in this country to be satisfied is drive around and look.  But there are also tons of adventure options as well.  Unfortunate I had a little misunderstanding with the Australian Tax Office and my funding is not what I thought it to be, so I'm skipping the highest bungee jump in the world.  (good excuse to come back now though!)   The sheep here must be the happiest in the world, I have never seen such perfectly green hills to pasture on.  With crystal blue lakes and rivers, snow capped mountains, and lush green forests everywhere, who would complain!  There are lots of sheep so it must be good!  I'm in a rush so I'll let the photos tell the rest, though, I have been letting Chris and Sam take all the scenery photos with their fancy cameras, so mine are sub-par and of course don't do it justice! 


Meet Sam.  He's tall.

Fierce competition to get the best photo!

The new van.  Nicer, still painted stupid though.

Lake Tekapo

Downtown Queenstown.

Add caption



With Rosie, who lives in Queenstown.  We slept in her drive.

Sam smells funny



The pose was not my idea...





We actually finished the maze in record time without cheating!  Even though Sam could see over the walls...


















It's cold here.



1 comment:

Ina said...

Wow! Looks amazing....I'm slightly jealous. ;) Hope you are having tons of fun!