Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Work Day.

On a normal day in the work life of Dallon, I will wake up here. This is my bedroom where I sleep, and where I'm sitting now, my kitchen where I eat my cinnamon toast crunch, my house. It's a cozy little abode that I enjoy. Lived here last year too.

After my yummy breakfast I hop on one of these. These are my three modes of transport. I just repainted the bike. It's white and black now and pretty pimpin. The skateboard is good on days when there's no surf. And I only payed $67 for the car and I've had it over a year, so that's awesome.


No matter which ride I take, this is where I go. It's Lahaina Harbor and it's where I work. One of the boats I work on stays parked right here in the harbor. The other boats are on moorings out on the roadstead. We have to drive this little dinghy out to the other boats. This is the harbor during the day, behind me in dinghy, and at dawn when I first get there.

These are the boats that I work on. The first one is the Maui Princess. This is the dinner cruise boat that goes out every night. I avoid stepping foot on this boat unless it's to get some leftovers. But when I do have to work on the Maui Princess I pretty much only tend the bar. The second boat is the Kaulana (it's in the foreground, the background is just some random cruise ship) it's my favorite. Every Mon. Wed. Fri. we do a snorkel trip to the island of Lanai and to Mala pier on Maui, then at night time we do a cocktail cruise. The last one is the Island Princess. On this boat we go to Molokini and Olowalu Bay every Tues. Thurs. Sat.  In this photo we picked up our passengers right off their cruise ship.

So on Mon. Wed. Fri. we go here. Lanai is one of the best places in Maui County to snorkel. There is never anyone else there and the water and coral are beautiful. After Lanai we head back to Maui and cook some lunch. The second spot is Mala pier. This pier collapsed in a hurricane in 1992. Lots of turtles there. It's pretty awesome too. Kaulana has a pretty wicked slide that everyone loves...even Reed! Here's the trip!

When we have dropped everyone off at the loading dock, and cleaned the boat. I usually get about an hour off until I have to come back and get ready for the cocktail cruise. It's only a two hour trip. There are some light snacks but pretty much it's just a booze cruise. We got a funky entertainer on board and this is where most of my crazy stories come from.  Useless life accomplishments: In the state of Hawaii I am now a licensed bar manager.  Mormon bartender, it still makes me laugh too.

On the other days we go to Molokini.  Molokini is an ancient volcanic crater that over time has sunk and been eroded down by wind and waves so that it now looks like a half moon.  The island itself is a a marine bird sanctuary and the water is a marine reserve.  So we have to have special permits to go there.  It's famous for is calm and very clear water.  When we get there we have to secure a bow line and a stern line to keep the ship from swinging.  It's a pretty intense process of free diving, line tying, and swim sprinting.  It's a pretty exhausting process that not everyone can do.  After Molokini we go to a place called Olowalu Bay.  This is where all the turtles are!  There is a turtle cleaning station where the fish and turtles get together so the fish can have a meal and the turtles get their shells cleaned!  The Island Princess has the water trampoline that is always a big hit!  So during the trips I have to cook and serve and clean, give swim and snorkel lessons, lifeguard, dump heads, clean puke, etc.  And I'm the first mate on both boats so if anything goes wrong it's my fault...yay.
Molokini



On some days though...I have to do some non fun stuff.  Boat maintenance is a bummer.  How you ever sucked sludge out of a bilge tank, or painted a holding tank?  I have, it isn't fun.  It's so not fun, I don't really have any pictures of it, except these from when we were at dry dock.  Sometimes I just put the paint on me, and roll around the boat.  Somedays I get to do other random things like scuba dive the moorings to replace shackles, or build new cabinets.  Next week for example, I get to drive Kaulana from Maui to Oahu.  Yes, drive.  Hope I can stay on the road!  Oh wait....

So that's what I do for work!  I pretty much love it.

2 comments:

Tami said...

OK, I can not tell a lie. You pretty much rock.

The Kitch said...

As cool as this looks it aint no office job like I got, those are the best kind of jobs. I get to sit back, relax, and answer the phones all day haha. You sure have some amazing pictures and a super sweet job. I liked learning about a day in the life of Dallon