Sunday, January 8, 2012

2011 Year in Review.

Quite literally, I could copy and paste my review from last year, and make very few changes.  Actually, that's the case for the last three years now.  Like before, I started this year living in Canyon Rim at the base of Parleys Canyon and working at The Canyons.  Except now it's just called Canyons.  I did earn my PSIA level 2 certification which means I've officially gone from deadbeat ski bum to semi-legitimate ski industry professional.  Mostly though, it's a big pay raise and I ski more and teach less.  I was able to ski Jackson Hole which was a long time coming and totally worth it, I fully plan on returning this year.  I met a lot of new friends this year.  Which is exciting but also strange to me since I've pretty much had the same group of friends since 9th grade.  Those friends are still around, they just have a hard time finding babysitters so they can come play with me!  I made it to Moab twice where I took a group down the river and made the mistake of riding a $5k demo mountain bike and now my own bike feels like an antique tinker toy.  I've never charged so hard, it was incredible.  Porcupine Rim trail at an average speed of 31mph!  At the end of the ski season I once again moved to Maui.  But not before finally making it to Havasupai.  After 4 previous failed attempts, Reed, Derrek, Sterling and I drove down, hiked in, swam around, and hiked out.  It was a 2011 highlight for sure.  Before arriving in Maui I spent a few weeks on the Big Island with my parents.  That was a great time.  I was able to swim with dolphins again and went scuba diving at night with giant manta rays.  Epic!  Maui this year was mostly work and less play.  Although the summer swells were ridiculously legendary.  I was on my shortboard most of the time compared to usually longboarding most of the time.  So the surfing was better than ever.  And in all honestly, working out there pretty much is playing.  My job hit rock bottom twice though when we lost a coworker then a few months later a passenger.  It is a small consolation to know Tyler and Mr. Miner both left doing something they loved so much.  I did have more shark encounters than usual which is always exciting, and Josh and Audrey finally made it out to visit us.  We did a lot of surfing, scuba diving, hiking, spear fishing, snorkeling and all the other stuff people do in Maui.  It was a good time.  Reed got married in 2011 which pretty much means I win the bet we made as seniors in high school.  No one else had me picked to be the lone man standing.  Couldn't be more pleased with his choice in wife though.  I've come full circle again and made it back to the snowless, inverted air, dreary Utah.  It's always good to be back on the mountain though, even if there is NO snow.  Can't deny that even though I missed Utah all summer, I can't stop thinking about and missing Maui right now.  I have two new nephews this year, bringing the total to 18.  My sister is still trying to get me on the Bachelor.  Implying of course, that I still am one.  That really is about it for the year.  I'm hoping and planning that New Zealand, Bali, and Thailand will be in 2012.  As well as a small business license, a head coaching gig, and a few more PSIA certs under my belt.  Mostly this year is a big blank page.  My plans for the future are more vague now I think than they ever have been.  Which is a little unsettling, but also a bit exciting as well.  I have some plans and goals that I am excited about and this year has the potential to be much different than the last three have been.  Here we go!

No comments: