Sunday, November 11, 2012

Ayutthaya

I finally made it off the islands onto mainland Thailand.  Not that I was too excited about this, but it's good.  And really, I've seen so many beaches the last several years, a change is nice.  To get here though, that was journey.  It started in the back of a pick up truck to the pier.  Then on a boat to the mainland at a tiny place without much more than a long pier called Chumphon.  From there I was herded onto a bus that took me about 6 hours north, with a little stop for toilets and food, to Bangkok.  In Bangkok I got ripped off by a cab driver on my way to the train station.  I waited an hour for my train that took me 2 hours to Ayutthaya where I got in a tuk tuk that out ran some pissed off dogs to get me to my hostel.  7am to midnight.  But I made it.  Ayutthaya is a historical place filled with...history!  But a quick google search will save me all the typing to describe it all too you.  Or click here to let UNESCO tell you about it.  I'll just share instead my photos!  Again, I rented a moped to cruise the city.  I only got lost for most of the day as this city is bigger than the last two islands I was on.  But I did manage to reach all the interesting places I read about in a book.  (Sticking to my no guided tours routine)  And it ended up being a fun couple of days.  For those that know me, I really like history.  So being in places like this where you can see and touch so much of it is pretty awesome for me. 

Things I'm starting to miss though:
Toilets I can sit on, not just squatting over a hole, and actually put toilet paper into.
Mountains.
My own car, without anyone constantly nagging me to get into it then trying to scam ever penny I own.
People to talk to whos native tongue is English.  Where are all the Americans?!
Drinking water from a tap.
Clean streets.

With all that said though, It's still pretty dang awesome here.  Being SO different than home, is what makes it so fun!


 

 Buttons on camera still don't work...so it's self shot GoPro photos from here on!
 


 


It was cold, so it was good!
 





Think this is crazy?  You should see the lights on these things at night!



 


Scary dark place!
 



 
This Buddha head somehow ended up with all these roots grown around it.  There was a security guard there to make sure everyone kneeled for their pictures.  No one is supposed to be higher than the Buddha.  He was also nice enough to take my photo!



 


When you see an elephant crossing sign in Thailand, take it seriously.
 


Monks got swagger!



You can only use this toilet if you REALLY have to go!
 


 


 


 


The whole old city was surrounded by rivers and moats, making necessary frequent ferry crossings.

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Sounds fun and wonderful. Rachel wants to know if you have seen a shark.