Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Sukhotthai

I realize that this post is going to look quite similar to the one about Ayutthaya, but I enjoyed the ruins at Sukhothai much more.  This time, instead of renting a moped and driving around town to see all the sights, all the historical ruins were located in a huge park well outside the city.  Though it was enormous, it was pretty hard to get lost here.  I rented a bicycle for this one and once again, armed with only a map, I set off to see as many temple ruins as I could fit into one day!  It was pretty cool.  This park is massive, but pedal power was enough to see everything that I wanted to see.  In my hostel is Sukhothai I went to dinner with some people from my hostel.  Two of them were Scottish.  I realized spending the night with them that I have really been starved for conversation with other native English speakers, because I was the chatterbox of the conversation.  And that almost never happens!  It was nice to conversate with people and not have to talk slowly or repeat myself.  They were leaving the next morning  though so I was still alone all day at the park.  Which was ok, I set my own pace, even took a nap under a tree.  The park was quite beautiful.  The landscaping was well done and well maintained which was a nice change after the urban sprawl of Ayutthaya and Lopburi.  Read about Sukhothai here.
Riding in a taxi.  A pickup truck with covered benches in back.
























This one was way up on a hill with a good view.



My bike.  It was the biggest they had, And hadn't been ridden in awhile...











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos!!! Sure like the big Buddha especially. By the way, Lop, we've got major snowness here. News said we got more this last weekend than all of last year combined! -Joan

Anonymous said...

...And I like the newnessity of your word "conversate". You can officially join my "Society for the Advancement of New Wordage". -Joan

** S A N W **