Wednesday, November 21, 2012

One Night In Bangkok

My overnight sleeper train journey took me all the way back to Bangkok.  I had to come here for one day to prepare for the next leg of my journey, so I tried to make the best of it.  As I arrived too early to check into my room, I headed off in the direction of China town as instructed by the the guy at reception.  I was looking for a place to get some visa photos taken.  What I found, was just about everything else imaginable.  So far on this trip, this stroll through China town was by far the greatest avalanche of sensory stimulants that I have experienced.  Sights, sounds, smells, and everything else were quite overwhelming.  So much so, that I didn't stay long.  It was a bit too much.  And also begs the question, does every large city in the world have a China town?!  Defeated by my worldly naivety I made my way back to the hostel and regrouped.  I went out again, this time using the city's surprisingly clean, modern, and efficient subway and sky train system to get around.  The sky train offered great views of this enormous city.  I eventually made it to the largest outdoor market in the world.  Sadly though, I did not find any of the strange and bizarre sights, sounds, and smells I had come to expect in Thai markets.  Instead, it was a lot of clothing type stuff.  The people there though, more than made up for the plainness of the goods for barter.  And yes, it was huge, and I got lost.  I really only had less than one day in Bangkok, but don't worry...I'll be back!




 





 


 

 




 


 


 


View from my room.

No comments: