Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Night Epic.

To the west is the Island of Lanai'i. A cloud sits atop the island peaks like a kings crown. The sun starts high and slowly sinks in the sky until it touches the horizon at the exact spot where Lanai'i's shores touch the sea. The color of the sky is changing from a bright blue to a golden yellow and bright oranges and pinks. The sun bands in union the land and the sea like a golden ring. For several minutes sun, earth and sea are one. To the south the whispy clouds are still lit by the suns rays and the colors are so bright and vivid only heaven can be more beautiful. Just before the sun is completely gone a sliver of light appears just above the sun and is nearly perched perfectlly on top of Lanai'i's peaks, the moon is old and waning but shows pearfectyl in the dusk. To the east the shores of Lahaina are lined with palm trees and lovers walking the sandy beaches. Above them rise the jagged West Maui Mountains recently blanketed with green life from the tropical rains. Also covering Maui's peaks are perfectly white clouds that never seem to move. The sky behind the peaks and clouds is like a painter's palette with deep purples, blues, and pinks. One star in the west sky shines brightly in the sky to balance the moon sliver in the east. Between them is the Auau Channel. The Spirit of Lahaina is moored there and from her decks is heard Iz's version of Somewhere over the Rainbow. Over the sound of the waves crashing can be heard the drums from the Feast at Lele, the ancient home of King Kamehameha. And in the middle of it all, I sit on my surfboard. Surfing some of the best waves I have ever caught. I am almost completely overwhelmed with the experience, it touches a side of spiritual. I catch wave after wave until I realize that it is almost pitch dark, and I am completely alone. Only the lights of the harbor help me find my way back to the beach. I am home now, a few hundred yards away, but that wasn't a dream. That was real. It was one of the most beautiful experiences I have ever had. Epic does not describe it. These words don't do it justice. I've still got chicken skin and it isn't cold at all. That was my Friday night, and I have never had a better.

To my Father and Creator, Mahalo for the beauty of the Earth!

1 comment:

Derrek Williams said...

In Genesis chapter 1, the Creator described the work in which we live as “good”. That is it, “good”. On the 6th day He looked at “every thing that he had made” and called it “very good” (Genesis 1:31) In comparison let us look at some of the descriptions of our possibilities in the eternities.

Joseph Smith describes it as: “The heavens were opened upon us, and I beheld the celestial kingdom of God, and the glory thereof, whether in the body or out I cannot tell.“I saw the transcendent beauty of the gate through which the heirs of that kingdom will enter, which was like unto circling flames of fire;“Also the blazing throne of God, whereon was seated the Father and the Son.“I saw the beautiful streets of that kingdom, which had the appearance of being paved with gold.” (D&C 137:1–4.)

John the Revelator also has a vision of the holy city, the earth in its sanctified and celestial state: “The foundations of the wall of the city,” writes John, “were garnished with all manner of precious stones.” Further, “the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.” (Rev. 21:19, 21.)

The accounts go on. Now if what Dallon and many of the rest of us have experienced is “good” let us all pause and ponder the greatness of our eternal potential!