Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dr. D and the Cheese Whiz.

 I'll try to keep the purpose of my blog alive here...SKIING!  Oh man.  Today is the first day I haven't skied in two weeks.  (and looking out my window at all that new snow is making me seriously doubt my decision not to)  But I'm beat and really needed this day off.  Here's the best part about my two week ski marathon...I got paid to do it!  And I got paid very well!  Presidents day weekend and the days surrounding it is the busiest time of year for ski school, so I had to work my regular schedule plus my days off.  And though I'm exhausted...I'm pretty stoked about that.  For the entire two weeks I had clients that we're wicked good skiers, and for the most part they all just wanted to learn how to ski in Utah's famous soft powder!  Oh I cannot describe the delight.  Powder runs and face shots day after day, it was so great!  Some of my clients were serious VIPs too.  And they had requested me to be there coach.  Filthy rich VIP + requested private lessons x deep powder days = A very happy Dallon with a newly bulging wallet.  I can't believe the money those people through around.  Let me tell you how these people roll.  First of all, the ski school manager pulls me into his office to assure I'm on my best behavior, then I had to pick up my client (a 14 year daughter) at the Waldorf Astoria (which is definitely no Motel 6) where I am greeted by the Hotel Manager and the President of Guest services, both of whom implore me to do a good job.  In the lobby someone even wiped my dripping nose for me.  When I dropped daughter off with parents at the lodge, they had a table reserved for them and a server waiting.  Have you been in a ski lodge before?  Then you know that there is no such thing as reservations and servers, it's a mad house and every man is on his own.  Not these people.  This went on for three days, and at the end of every half day private lesson where I just skied with Lauren from England on my favorite powder runs, dad would slip me a Franklin!  I never asked why they were so VI, but they were VNP (very nice people) as well, so it was great.  I had several other private lessons and several children's group lessons.  All my kids lessons were black and blue level skiers, so it was more of the powdery steeps for me!  All these kids were awesome too.  I got to ski with most of them every day, keeping my classes pretty much in tact, a large number of them were British and none were rubbish!  I honestly had so much fun with those kids.  Thanks to crazy little Cole, I am now fondly known as Dr. D, due to his efforts everyone is calling me that now.  And thanks to adorable Sofia, we were all known as Dr. D and the Cheese Whiz.  Kids are so hilarious!  Yesterday, at the end of my 14 day marathon I will admit that I was nearing the end of my patience and abilities to entertain 9 year olds, and I may have gotten a bit crabby.  But at the end of the day when little Jimmy chewed out his mom for not giving me a big enough tip because I am "the best ski coach ever!" then giving me a big hug and actually crying when he had to leave, just totally made it all worth it.  Thanks Jimmy, hope to see you again next year!  I love my life!

Paul, Me, and Jimmy
VIP Lauren
VGS Lauren (Very Good Skier)


1 comment:

Our Family said...

Glad you had a day off, and enjoyed your weeks with wonderful people.