Friday, February 11, 2011

The Driftwood Files: Smooth Like James

Driftwood manor backyard show.
Mojos in Ogden
Probably one of the greatest consequences of the creation of Driftwood Manor was the creation of Smooth Like James.  SLJ was our band.  That's right, we had our own band!  It all started when we realized that among the residents of Driftwood we had the talent and equipment necessary for a band.  So we just started jamming one day.  Goofing around really, and it was so much fun!

          5 folding tables = one awesome stage.

Peach Days in Brigham City
   It started like this:
Bass:      Guitar:      Piano:     Guitar:     Drums:     Vocals:
Dallon    Reed         Trevor                      Spicer       anyone

Then it changed to this:
Bass:      Guitar:      Piano:     Guitar:     Drums:     Vocals:
Adam     Reed         Trevor                        Jon           Dallon
Adam     Reed                         Benny        Josh          Dallon
Rick       Reed                         Benny        Levi          Dallon

So at one point or another, these are the members of Smooth Like James:  Dallon Williams, Reed Capener, Trevor Jackson, Ben Spicer, Adam Taylor, Jon Cook, Josh Law, Benny Johnson, Rick, and Levi Phippen. 

I have added links to their facebook pages, in case you want to be creepy.

After the original line up.  Adam Taylor moved in and was conveniently a bass player.  Well not convenient for me, cuz that bumped me to vocals.  Which I did NOT like, more on that later.  Then Spicer moved out and in his place moved in Jon Cook.  Also a drummer.  Convenient.  This was the lineup for our first show.  Then Jon got married so the first non resident joined the band, Adam's friend (now everyones friend) Josh Law took over on drums.  This is how it stayed for a long time until Trevor got married.  So we only had to look within the walls of the manor to find Benny, a kick-a guitarist.  This started the first big re-haul of the band and re-write of songs without the piano.  It pretty much stayed that way until we had our first little fallout.  Due to Josh leaving for China, and a broken collar, and other lameness, we were done for a bit.  Then, completely randomly, we got invited to play another show, so we quickly recruited Levi Phippen and his pal Rick, re-learned all the songs and played the show.  From that show we got invited to do another, and another, and another and the reunion tour was on!  It was a great time!  Finally though, life caught up to everyone and we were done.  We had played shows all over Utah with bands from all over the country.     Some bands of note are:  Dropsonic, Royal Bliss, The Monikers, Blind Iris, Love You Long Time, Woodly Bog and so many more I can't think of them!  We played small private events, house parties, huge university events, battle of the bands comps., athletic events, coffee shops, concert venues, and just about any other venue you could think of.  One time we played a show at a sorority party, then at a battle of the bands in one night!  We recorded a CD, even though it was in our early days and we ended up being a much different band than that.  We printed t-shirts and at one point we were looking at record labels.  We were a very mixed group as far as what our personal influences were, which honestly made it 
hard at times, but also made us that much more diverse.  Song writing was a little backwards for us, the guys would come up with a tune, and I'd come up with lyrics for that tune, and we'd play with till it worked.  Which was probably my only real contribution, because I sure as heck couldn't sing!  Man I sucked!  I do feel I got better at singing as we went along but better still equaled really really bad.  Shoots, the ward choir didn't even want me.  My favorite story is when we were at a show and I overhead a conversation that went like this:  
Kid 1, "I really like this place, but for some reason they keep having that Smooth Like James band play here."  
Kid 2, "That's because the guys in that band run this place." (more on Driftwood Venue in another post)
Kid 1, " Oh really?  Well I really like the band's music, but every time I hear that kid sing it makes me want to shoot myself in the head!"
Kid 2, "Be carefull man they are all still here!"
Dallon, "Hey come on man, I am definitely not worth shooting yourself!  I know I suck, we're just doing it for fun you know!"
Kid 1, complete awkward star struck silence.  He apologized the next day on the bands myspace page.  I thought the whole thing was hilarious and ran and told everyone!  We all knew I sucked, but my good friends didn't care.  Besides, I had a pretty good stage presence!  And apparently my stage presence was enough for some to make up for my crappy singing, because those three years in this band also directly correlates with the easiest most successful time I've EVER had...with the ladies!  Giggity!  Being in a band was definitely had direct effects on our popularity, and I loved ever second of it!  In Logan, for at least a little while...we were kind of a big deal!  I honestly can't remember a more confident time in my life.  The whole thing was very good to me.  I think it was for all of us too.  Adam still performs in bands, but I think all the rest of us are retired from the rock star profession.  

This was one of our very first shows.  We weren't good.




                           We made a music video.  Kinda.
This was a party we had to celebrate our one year anniversary.  This is in our backyard.


1 comment:

Noelle said...

I think you forgot to mention you guys performed at HOMECOMING!